Thank you to everyone who signed up for more information at the Cougar Carnivals, the NSM Block Party, Cat’s Back and everyone who volunteered collectively! We donated 141 hours to these annual recruiting events to help you in your journey toward becoming a well-rounded individual and candidate for your application process in joining a medical school to become a future physician!
General Meetings with Medical Guest Speakers *
THURSDAY | September 14, 2017 | ( 6:15 PM) 1st General Meeting Featuring Dr. Chacon and T.J. La |Come meet T.J. La, AMSA National Representative, Student Editor of The New Physician, a BCM Medical & Law Student and AMSA UH Alumni |Our Speaker Series will feature Dr. Martin Alejandro Chacon-Portillo, Cardio Thoracic M.D. and Researcher @ 7PM|Bring: your UH student/staff ID – you cannot attend without it.
TUESDAY | September 19, 2017 | ( 6:30 ) |General Meeting – Featuring Imperative Application Process Information | UPDATE: Agnes Arnold Auditorium 2 Bring: your UH student/staff ID – you cannot attend without it. This meeting is essential.
For Details about meetings-
- Sign into your UH Get Involved page and either – add us to your list of organizations you want to be in or search AMSA .
- Anyone who has signed up with us for more information at an NSO Cougar Carnival, NSM Block Party, Cat’s Back or was a previous member with a valid email will be sent a reminder email by midnight Saturday prior to meetings.
- (Tentatively held on Tuesdays or Thursdays Late August thru Mid-November)
- 6:30 to 6:55 Check-in with both id and sign-in; Light refreshments provided; Additional food fundraiser will benefit our chapter’s new philanthropic endeavors
- 6:45 to 6:55 Announcements
- 7:00 to 7:40 Guest Speaker
- 7:40 to 7:50 Guest Speaker Q&A if permissible
- 8:00 to 8:15 Open questions, closing, announcement, and sign-out
- *As dates are secured we will list the speaker
Health & Wellness Volunteer Events
- THURSDAY | September 14, 2017 | We will be needing volunteers to man booths for The Wellness Center’s Fair @UH ( Shout out to Arig for bearing the relentless Sun. )
- SATURDAY |October 28th | We are looking forward to providing Halloween themed entertainment for Ronald McDonald House patients & families. Please join us
- SUNDAY| November 19th | Alzheimer Association Awareness Walk @UH – Volunteering and/or Walking ( Updated date because of football schedule changes from Harvey)
- We are in the works of partnering with a nearby nursing home for consistent volunteerism.
- SPRING |Annual Community Health Fair
Fundraising & Philanthropic Events
- WEDNESDAY | September 27, 2017 |(10 – 2:00)| |Crepes, Iced Mocha, Coke Floats, & Cake Balls Fundraiser – Benefiting Philanthropic Cause #1 International Rescue Committee|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
- MONDAY | _____________________ , 2017 | Bake Sale Fundraiser – Benefiting AMSA UH Professional Development Endeavor Expenses|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
- Various fundraising events on and off campus
- Philanthropic causes – student, local, and global
- Various community volunteer events on and off campus
*New this year
Be ready to volunteer or refresh yourself with our on/off campus fundraising food events, so you can directly contribute to the betterment of society in the field of health on a global, local, and student level!
Professional Development Workshops & Events
Update – We have been invited to attend a professional development meeting from the RSO Modern Abolitionist & Doctors for Change on Thursday, October 12, 2017 | SEC from 6 to 8 PM (free food) Flier
- Suture Clinic – will be suturing while being guided by Army Surgeons
- Local Medical School Tours & Medical Schools visiting UH – Fall & Spring
- State and UH Medical School application informational meetings – Fall
- Personal Statement Workshop – Fall
- Resume Workshop – Fall
- CPR certification – Spring
- Community Health Fair – Spring
- MCAT Practice Testing from UH – Spring
- CERT Training * at no cost
- Web-Journal by officers *
- Free Kaplan flashcards with National membership
- AMSA UH Internship for Fall or Spring *
*New this year
Social & Wellness Events
- FRIDAY | September 22, 2017 | HOSA & MIMOSAS Invite – see Facebook for details
- MONDAY | September 25, 2017 |Annual UH Student Center Game Room Night with ASDA and several other Pre-medical orgs
- SATURDAY | October 28th|1st Annual AMSA UH Homecoming Tailgating ( Kibbeh, Kebabs & Lemonade)*
- TUESDAY | October 31, 2017 | Halloween Social with HOSA and other health orgs
- TUESDAY | November 16, 2017 | Thanksgiving Pot-Luck Dinner & Awards
- 3 Wellness Workout meet-ups at the UH REC center *
- Social Fundraisers at various sponsor locations |TBA
- Intramural games ( soccer) | TBA
- Spring Picnic Outing (Discovery Green, Levy Park*,or on-campus ) with other health orgs | TBA
- Spring Gamenights at Phonecia’s Market Cafe or Brooklyn Athletic Club* | Mondays TBA which ones
- Intramural games ( basketball) | TBA
- Various workshops & general meetings
- Frontier Fiesta outing* | Late March
- Sixth Annual Awards Ceremony | Mid May
* New this year