Freshmen 2017-18! Come meet and greet us during the 9 New Student Orientation Cougar Carnival dates – June
1st, 5, 12, 22, 26, 29. July 17 or 20. Aug 1st. Thank you to everyone who signed up for more information and everyone who volunteered collectively! We donated 123 hours to this annual event to help you in your journey toward becoming a well-rounded individual and candidate for your application process in joining a medical school to become a future physician!
A couple of officers will be at the NSM Block Party for STEM majors on August 20th
New Coogs, Transfer Students, and Current Cougars! Come see us at Cat’s Back Thursday, August 24, 2017 @ the REC Center from 4-7 We can’t wait to meet you! We have cups if you didn’t get one yet!
General Meetings with Medical Guest Speakers *
THURSDAY | August 31, 2017 | ( 6:15 PM ) AMSA’s First General Meeting – AMSA National Membership Director Rachel Glassford & Student Editor of The New Physician Ton “T.J.” La Jr. will have a Q& A from 6:15 – 6:45 |Our Speaker Series will feature Dr. James Cross, Surgeon @ 7PM |Bring: your UH student/staff ID – you cannot attend without it.
THURSDAY | September 14, 2017 | ( 6:30 PM) General Meeting |Our Speaker Series will feature Dr. Chacon, Cardio Thoracic M.D. and Researcher @ 7PM|Bring: your UH student/staff ID – you cannot attend without it.
TUESDAY | September 19, 2017 | General Meeting – Featuring Imperative Application Process Information |Bring: your UH student/staff ID – you cannot attend without it.
For Details about meetings-
- Sign into your UH Get Involved page and either – add us to your list of organizations you want to be in or search AMSA .
- Anyone who has signed up with us for more information at an NSO Cougar Carnival with a valid email will be sent a reminder email by midnight Saturday prior to meetings.
- (Tentatively held on Tuesdays or Thursdays Late August thru Mid-November)
- 6:15 to 6:55 Check-in with both id and sign-in; Light refreshments provided; Additional food fundraiser will benefit our chapter’s new philanthropic endeavors
- 6:45 to 6:55 Announcements
- 7:00 to 7:40 Guest Speaker
- 7:40 to 7:50 Guest Speaker Q&A if permissible
- 8:00 to 8:15 Open questions, closing, raffle winner announcement, and sign-out
- *As dates are secured we will list the speaker
Health & Wellness Volunteer Events
Looking forward to more volunteering events that build you from the inside out in your heart this coming semester! Congratulations 2016-17 members on contributing 646 community volunteer hours just through AMSA UH and our hosts! Y’all are awesome!
- We are looking forward to providing Halloween themed entertainment for Ronald McDonald House patients & families. Please join us on Saturday, October 28th! -Anam Syed, Community Volunteer Coordinator
- We are in the works of partnering with a nearby nursing home for consistent volunteerism.
- Our Annual Community Health Fair will be held in the Spring
We are currently looking for opportunities for inner growth in the healthcare field.
Fundraising & Philanthropic Events
- Various fundraising events on and off campus
- Philanthropic causes – student, local, and global
- Various community volunteer events on and off campus
*New this year
Be ready to volunteer or refresh yourself with our on/off campus fundraising food events, so you can directly contribute to the betterment of society in the field of health on a global, local, and student level!
Pending approval –
TUESDAY | August 22, 2017 | (11:30 – 2:00) Coke Floats & Cake Balls Fundraiser – Benefiting Philanthropic Cause #1 ______________|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
WEDNESDAY | August 23, 2017 | (11:30 – 2:00) Coke Floats & Cake Balls Fundraiser – Benefiting Philanthropic Cause #1 ______________|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
TUESDAY | August 29, 2017 | (11:30 – 1:30) Iced Coffee/Matcha & Nutella Strawberry-Banana Crepes & Waffles Fundraiser – Benefiting Philanthropic Cause #1 ______________|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
WEDNESDAY | August 30, 2017 | (11:30 – 1:30) Iced Coffee/Matcha & Nutella Strawberry-Banana Crepes Fundraiser – Benefiting Philanthropic Cause #1 ______________|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
MONDAY | September 11, 2017 | Bake Sale Fundraiser – Benefiting AMSA UH Professional Development Endeavor Expenses|Bring: your appetite and classmates. We take cash, debit, and credit.
Professional Development Workshops & Events
- Suture Clinic hosted by Kaplan – will be suturing pigs’ feet while being guided by Army Surgeons
- Medical School Tours
- CPR certification
- State and UH Medical School application informational meetings
- Personal Statement Workshop
- Resume Workshop
- Community Health Fair
- MCAT Practice Testing from UH
- CERT Training * at no cost
- Web-Journal by officers *
- Free Kaplan flashcards with National membership
- AMSA UH Internship for Fall or Spring *
*New this year
Social & Wellness Events
- 4 Wellness Workout meet-ups at the UH REC center *
- 1st Annual AMSA UH Homecoming Tailgating ( Kibbeh, Kabobs & Lemonade)* ( Saturday, October 28th)
- Thanksgiving Pot-Luck Dinner ( Thursday, November 16th )
- Social Fundraisers at various sponsor locations
- Picnic Outing (Discovery Green, Levy Park*,or on-campus ) with other health orgs
- Gamenights at Phonecia’s Market Cafe* & UH Student Center Game Room
- Inter-mural games ( flag football, soccer, and basketball)
- Various workshops & general meetings
- Frontier Fiesta outing* ( Late March)
- Sixth Annual Awards Ceremony ( Mid May )
* New this year